Friday, January 13, 2006

NOVA is not just a show on PBS

Ahhhhhh... little brings as much joy as reconnecting with old friends through the written word. For the egocentric, it is an opportunity to talk about oneself at great length without interruption. For the self conscious, it provides the ability to talk about the highlights while glossing over the embarrasing details. It should not surprise anyone that I intend to do a little of both.

My lovely and exceedingly patient wife and I live in NOVA, aka Northern Virginia, about five miles from the Washington Monument outside our nation's capital. This makes for a convenient commute since my wife works for a U.S. Senator and I work for the U.S. Secretary of Labor. It also means our yard can be measured in square feet instead of acres, but we are happy to have a house in a good neighborhood with great neighbors.

Susan and I have been married for almost three years and are expecting our first child in May. We are also the proud parents of Shelby, our emotionally disturbed dog and Stanley, the stuffed dog. You see, we are working our way up... stuffed dog to live animal to human child. Since our dog suffers from crippling emotional pain, I am a little worried about our parenting abilities. But seriously, she was messed up when we got her.

When we are not busy with work and the aforementioned dog, we work on our house and enjoy spending time with friends from church and work. As I have since age 8, I ride my ATV as often as I get the chance and enjoy meeting up with old SENHCA friends like Andy, Arik, Guido, and Rich for riding adventures a couple times a year. (See my personal blog for more on this)

NOVA has been good to me. I have lived in Virginia for more than ten years. Undergrad at Liberty U. in Lynchburg, Grad School at Regent U. in Virginia Beach, a couple years in the Virginia Governor's Office in Richmond, and more than four years in Northern Virginia while working at the U.S. Office of Personnel Management and now the Department of Labor in D.C. Susan and I return to New England a couple times a year for holidays and brief visits. I do miss being close to family and friends, but we have been very blessed in the Old Dominion.

1 comment:

gagknee said...

Our lives are forever intertwined with West Virginia and the Hatfield-McCoy trails.

The first time Rob told me about Susan was while we were driving to West Virginia on our first trip.

Our 2nd trip was a Bachelor "party" for Rob before his wedding.

Susan is planning on giving birth at the hospital in Man, WV. Its a long drive, lets pray her water doesn't break somewhere on Rte 119 between the middle of nowhere and where the @?#%$ are we.

And lastly, Rob is planning on giving the boy two first names. I'm partial to Billy Rob myself.